Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Friendship Lessons

Remember a time in your life when you asked people to actually be your friend? Say it was Kindergarten, you walked up to the person in the playroom and bravely stated- "Will you be my friend". Then you transitioned into other years and the words didn't even need to be asked you just knew they were your friend. I remember in high school it would seem my friends at large would change with what season of sports we were in and it worked. College was a time when you made friendships with the people you never had in your high school. I hung out with the kids from the suburbs and that shopped at stores I had never hear of. Usually, those friends only lasted a year and I was always back to the core friends.

Now, I find myself out of college and sort of hanging on to some relationships that I can't quite figure out anymore. I have my "group" split into high school, college, and former co-workers or I would like to better classify as others. Most of the time I can meld the lines of these friends with no issue. Each grouping of friends matter, but maybe not each person in the group. When you reach a point like this do you follow a similar child like behavior and flat out ask if they want to be your friend anymore. Or do you face the reality and just leave the last words unsaid.

I found this article and wanted to share-
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=fickle-friends
As it discusses how the people that might not be a good friend effect you. (Thanks for sharing EEH).

Leave a comment as I am still undecided...

Have a nice day
LML

2 comments:

  1. Shrug off what bothers you, coach in private, and celebrate in public. It's tough but after some practice it's a much happier lifestyle than drowning in drama.

    ReplyDelete